May 27, 2010

I've decided to try and do an entry a day of the hectic building process. After all, in about a week, I'll have a hard time remembering what we did each day. So, this morning, like most mornings in the summer, started with sourdough pancakes. Usually Jay and I are up earlier than Romay. We eat breakfast and drink coffee as Romay snoozes. She'll roll out of bed around 10 and fry her own hot cakes, hot off the pan without any time to spare on a plate waiting, the life span of a hot cake isn't long in our household. We reached a worthwhile goal in building today. Jason had placed 8 sill logs on top of pilings. They sit on top of a plate with 4 pre-drilled holes. Jason leveled the pilings, made an imaginary sill plate (using string and nails) and got all 8 logs to 'agree' with each other. I mean, it is mentally taxing to get each piece right where it needs to go, otherwise, we'll be moving 1 step forward and 3 steps back...hahaha, flashback from the 80s! So anyways, this enabled us to bolt the sill logs onto the plate. If you do the math, that is 24 bolts. A friend stopped by and remarked about how we needed an impact wrench. Ha! But he didn't realize that Jay and I tag team, I drill a hole and Jay uses a ratchet set and gets the screw in. Meanwhile, we talk about how the mosquitoes are getting worse, or the fact that we would be in class at this time IF school were going on. Time flies and as if 7 years of marriage didn't afford more time for bonding. People, other married couples in Galena, have told Jay and I that we spend a lot of time together. Its true, we're always together. And of course we prefer it that way. Anyways, speaking of mosquitoes. We're working on that problem and the problem of too many mosquitoes can put a damper on anyone's goals outdoors. So, here we have the mosquito trap, labeled, "The patriot." I went to see how many mosquitoes were trapped one night and was surprised that they weren't able to fly off with the machine in a huge effort. Good thing they are not that organized. Anyways, I brought the container full of buzzing mosquitos home, placed it in the freezer, 20 minutes later, the container held what looked like some guys hair after visiting the barber. I said my goodbyes with a little too much eagerness. Anyways, we're placing the sill plates on tomorrow...will post pictures. Goodnight.

No comments: